Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I bet he picked out his clothes the night before...

So today the Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States. I've felt nervous for him all day. Listening to the coverage on NPR this morning didn't help. I felt like it was the first day of school. Did he lay out his clothes the night before? Did he wake up before his alarm went of and lay there and think about the day? Did he hold his schedule in his sweaty hands all day crossing off each event until he took the oath of office?
I just kept thinking about what it would have been like to be there in D.C. to witness such an event. Listening to the media countdown for the last couple of weeks and all of the MLK Jr. coverage yesterday really brought it home. Although this is an "historic inauguration", I don't remember ever being wrapped up in it like I was this year. That is probably because I've never cared enough or really participated in the process like I did for this election. I want Obama to prove all of the loud mouths wrong so I can walk tall in OKC. I want him to live up to the expectations that he has set for himself. I have faith that he can do it, but it still makes me nervous.

I do find the historical significance of this inauguration interesting. Think of all the different meaning it holds to the different generations. Many of the major players of the civil rights movement are in their late 70s early 80s...think of what this means for them, everything they have fought for and lived through. And in the opposite think of what it means to the people of that same vintage that were in opposition of equal rights.
Obama ran such a grass roots campaign, sweeping up the young vote in almost a cult like fashion. For many young voters this was the first time that they ever exercised their right to vote. And it really counted...it made a difference...it made history. I hope that the youth involvement and this outcome inspired this generation to stay involved and keep up with Obama's policy in the upcoming years. We do have the power to keep him honest on some of the promises that were made during his campaign. And we are the next generation of law makers. The college graduates of this decade will most likely include the next round of legislators for our children.
And then there are the children of 2009 who many of the upcoming policy changes and legislation will directly affect their lives as they grow up. Just like the children who were born and grew up during the years at the end of and after the Great Depression. They don't have a say, but we do and we have a responsibility to them and their future. Obama has made statements to this affect. He is directly responsible to his own daughters who fall into this category.

The times are a changin' people. I just hope that we are willing to embrace the change. The first day of school is always exciting and overwhelming. Maybe it would be a good idea for Obama to pick out his clothes for the next 100 days.

No comments: