Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Because ME told me to...

Overcome your uncertainties and free yourself from dwelling on sorrow. If you delight in existence, you will become a guide to those who need you, revealing the path to many.
-Sutta Nipata

The phase of life that comes after undergrad is really hard. People deal with it in different ways. Some go straight into graduate programs, some get married, some bum around with non-career oriented jobs, some move back home, some start a career that they have wanted to do for their whole lives and it turns out to be nothing like they expected. No matter what, people in this age group are usually just a clueless about what they want to do as they were when they were choosing which college to go to when they were seniors in high school. I still think it is ridiculous that we are forced to choose a degree/career plan when we are a mere 19 or 20 years old. I find that a lot of people work or have made careers in field unrelated to their degrees. I chose to get a business degree because it was so broad…but that’s a problem too now isn’t it. I’m 25 and I still change my mind every month. Although now I’m down to the same one or two options instead of the idea that I can do anything I want. Why can’t someone just tell me what to do?!?!

And then yesterday someone did tell me what to do. That person was ME! I’ve decided that I will not be afraid and I will just go for it. I’m just going to pick one and go. I love my accidental job that I’m doing now. It is wonderful how it has all just happened with little to no effort on my part to control everything around me. I am so grateful that I am where I am because if I hadn’t ended up here, working with the people I’m working with, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to realize that I am much smarter and capable that I ever gave myself credit for. If I hadn’t taken these 2 ½ years to work I might have rushed into something that would have led me in circles. SO, big change ahead people! I’m sure you are wondering “what big change?! Tell me, tell me!” But Me told me something else yesterday, don’t tell anyone (except Tim) what the plan is. I tend to talk and talk and talk about what I want to do. Often leading to unrealistic expectations about my plans and doubt cast on me from others that think I’m just talking again. So I’m sorry I won’t be revealing anything just yet. Although I will be keeping track of my progress here so maybe in a couple of months you will be able to guess. And no we are not having a baby.

Thanks for all your love and support, all 3 of you that read this blog.

I couldn’t have stood up to myself with out you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

be MY guide! I love you seester!

Anonymous said...

what better journey is there than self discovery?