Friday, December 5, 2008

Ave Maria

So today I sang at a funeral for one of our Tri Delta alums who's husband of 59 years died this week after a 15 year battle with prostate cancer. It was such an honor to be called out of the blue to participate in this human/spiritual ritual. I knew of Mrs. Beverly Thompson but I have yet to really get to know her. From what I learned about her husband and her family today everyone that knew Jim Thompson was very blessed for the experience. Despite the sadness and grief that shrouded the energy of the sanctuary I kept noticing all the familiar Tri Delta Alumni faces of all vintages who came to support Beverly. I was called to sing partly because of that same affiliation. I feel very lucky to be included in the Tri Delta family in this way. Because that is what we really are - a family. The friendships that are forged during the collegiate years are a start but the real relationships in Tri Delta are maintained once we hit the real world and really NEED each other. With out my family living nearby these women of all ages have become the people I turn to and rely on for support. They show genuine interest in me and my life. They keep me accountable to my commitment to this group and make me feel like I'm a part of something bigger than myself. You may be reading this thinking...silly sorority girl...but this isn't just sorority stuff, this is life stuff. I've never really felt like a part of something until I graduated from college and really realized the significance of my pledge of lifelong loyalty to Tri Delta and all it's members before and after me. I take that very seriously. Those that do not put as much stock in that commitment are really missing out on something wonderful. So it isn't silly. I hope everyone has something that makes them feel this way. Something that makes them feel like they are loved and part of something. Greek or not, all you need is love.
So today I witness and participated in some Delta Love for the Thompson family and all the people who were impacted by Jim Thompson. Thank you for the honor of being a part of your family today. My thoughts and prayers are with you.