Thursday, August 14, 2008

Daily Meditation

If we divide into two camps--even into violent and the nonviolent--and stand in one camp while attacking the other, the world will never have peace. We will always blame and condemn those we feel are responsible for wars and social injustice, without recognizing the degree of violence within ourselves. We must work on ourselves and also with those we condemn if we want to have a real impact.

-Ayya Khema, "Be An Island"

I blog…I’m a blogger…I am blogging…

This is my 4th attempt at maintaining a blog. But this time it is really different. I actually think about it all the time. When I am driving, walking, sitting, breathing, I am so much more aware of my surroundings because you never know when something interesting or hilarious might happen that you can write about. As silly as it sounds trying to really keep up with this blog has forced me to be aware, to be present. This is partly inspired by my new found spirituality and the book I’m reading. Being aware of myself and my surroundings at all times has cut down on my negative “stinky thinking” and calmed down that internal monologue that we all have. I feel like I’m really living my life. Enjoying it. The mind is such a powerful thing and just like all powerful things it needs some controls. Exercise and sleep and journaling have become my controls. I acknowledge what is happening or what I’m feeling and then let it go. Like a balloon into the sky. The real trick is getting the balloons off the chair they are tied to...geez these knots are small...

2 comments:

amywopsle said...

Those balloons look like boobs. Good blogness!

Anonymous said...

I'm only leaving a comment on this entry but I want you to know that I love all of them. You always crack me up! Keep up the blog, I love to know what's going on in my big-sister's mind.