Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tornado Tuesday

Around 4:30ish this afternoon while still at work an uncharacteristically early in the season tornado touched down in Edmond. The actual touch down was about 8 miles north of my office. A little too close for comfort. Tornadoes scare the bee-jeezus out of me. Although I have never truly experienced one, the chances of being directly affected by on living in Central Oklahoma is higher than I would like. I try to ignore this fact. This is about the extent of weather that I witnessed. It didn't even rain that much.

From the Daily Oklahoman


When I got home I received a call from my Nanny in upstate New York. The conversation made my day:

Me: Hi Nanny what's going on?
Nanny (in stereotypical cliche NY accent): I just saw something on the news about Oklahoma! Do you know what it is?
pause
Me: Umm...we are having some tornadoes?
Nanny: Yeah, that's what I saw!

I love to guess what the news coverage is in New Paltz, NY. I'm pretty convinced that the majority of Americans that have not had the pleasure of visiting Oklahoma or knowing someone who is from or has lived here thinks that it's nothing but Boomer Sooner, trailer homes, and tornadoes. It seems like the tornado yesterday that hit Edmond was one of the few since the May 3, 1999 storm that has hit somewhere other than trailer homes. Tornadoes aren't a really positive thing to be known for Oklahoma...bad PR.

Anyway. We are fine. Everyone we know is fine. It just added some excitement to the afternoon.
Oklahoma should work on promoting it's AMAZING sunsets! Here is a pic I received at work taken by Michael Danielson at Lake Hefner. These kind of sunsets are more frequent than tornadoes. Enjoy!

No comments: